Sunday 5 April 2015

Spring is in the air

Lambing is in full swing at the moment and every day sees new additions to the burgeoning sheep population. Indeed everything is turned on to the changing season with Chiffchaffs aplenty in the lanes, the occassional Blackcap singing since the 29th of March, Stockies collecting nesting material and courting, Skylarks ascending all over the levels, and the return of the Redshank. Today, Easter Sunday, dawned light and bright so I took myself off for the usual meander in the hope of a hirundine or two. In contrast to yesterdays mooch in a cold northerly birds were much more in evidence with all the residents singing or patrolling their territories. The Ravens are always easiest to see at lambing due to the easy pickings on offer and this morning there guttural croaks were an accompaniment to my walk. As I reached my favorite scrapes I was not to be disappointed, no hirundines but a quality alternative in the form of a male Little Ringed Plover feeding amongst the grassy pools, bold head pattern and yellow eye ring gleaming in the early morning sunshine. Nearby a Black-tailed Godwit was feeding, also my first of this spring, and a flock of 16 Shoveler and 2 Gadwall rounded my walk off nicely.
The moth trap has been kept under wraps mainly due to the inclement overnight weather and temperatures, however I managed an Ingrailed Clay, not common for the garden, on the night of the 28th, and the night of the 3rd of April produced singles of Early Grey, Small Quaker, and Light-brown Apple Moth.

No comments:

Post a Comment